Saturday, July 11, 2009

Why I'm not a 'militant' vegan

I've been asked, a lot, why I'm not a more 'militant' vegan... if it is so important to me and all.

Partially, it is the result of not wanting to tell other people what they should believe. Mostly, however, it is that I really just don't think it will do any good with at least 95% of people. You will only be vegan if you actually empathize not only with animals, but with animals that have no direct interaction with you. Most people don't empathize with animals as much as me, and most people don't empathize nearly as much with people (let alone animals) who don't have direct interaction with them as they do with people/animals they know or have some relationship with.

So I see the problem as a core level compulsion issue and virtually irreversible in almost everyone. I am not vegan because I expect to change the world, I'm vegan because it is what I think is right and I am responsible for my own actions. I would like others to change, but militance does not accomplish that in my opinion. Until I can figure out a way to get people to truly, and intensely empathize with all animals (and people for that matter), I do not believe I have a course to improve the status quo. I'll keep trying to think of effective ways to do that I guess :)

No comments:

Post a Comment